Sunday, February 23, 2014

No Soup for You

  Andy Warhol = Tomato Soup Cans. Too bad he would have hated this association seeing that he was sick of the can and  that people made it ‘a thing’ when he traveled, including a stop in Fort Collins in the early 80's. At least that’s what I learned when we visited the Andy Warhol print collection at the Fort Collins Museum of Art.


  I am not an art aficionado. I know what you know from taking the most general of art appreciation courses despite the fact my mom took me to museums for as long as I remember, particularly if there was a Monet or a van Gogh exhibit. I am thankful she made a point to expose us kids to fine art, but I guess it just made a greater impression on brother than me. (I did eventually find my niche in a museum at the photography exhibits.)

    Sad to say it took ten years of living in Fort Collins to finally visit our local art museum. I had read there was an Andy Warhol exhibit and thought it might be fun. We had planned to go on a date night, but by chance we ended up taking Layla with us. Luckily kids under six are free and luckily it ended up being the perfect way to introduce her to the world of art.We also corrected her assumption that a museum is the same as a zoo.

  The small room was lined with Warhol’s famous pop art prints depicting toddler icons like Superman, Santa Claus and Layla’s personal favorite- The Wicked Witch of the West. (She has a soft spot for the villains- that’s normal, right?)  It took about ten minutes to check out the collection with another few minutes to learn about his visit to our town and his dislike of his most famous Campbell’s soup can- which was not part of the collection.

  I learned a little and was reminded he was responsible for the Moonwalk print etched in my memory from years of watching MTV.


  We'll see what Layla’s relationship with art will be- maybe she’ll be a natural artist like her uncle Josh or maybe she’ll like Impressionists like her Grandma  or Ansel Adams like her mom.


  But it sure is nice to have an art museum here in town and I’ll try not to wait another ten years before we go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment